So I decided I wanted to make a fall cape out of a Linton wool I had lusted after for some time. I had a simple Butterick (5819) pattern to work with. The pattern was NOT lined, and really needed some tweaking to work with my body type. However, this is nothing new to me.
I decided that I wanted to use classic techniques and underline the cape with silk organza and fully line the cape with silk. In addition, I knew I wanted to lengthen the cape “arms” and ensure the width so that there was plenty of room for ease of movement when driving or any other activity when wearing the garment.
I chose houndstooth Linton wool in black and white to work with for the primary fabric. I used a cherry red silk charmeuse for the lining and silk organza for the underlining to provide stability and structure to the wool. The silk charmeuse added a few challenges to the project as it is extremely slippery and has a mind of it’s own when working with it. However it is glorious and sumptuous and well worth the effort.
I lined the inside of the collar in a cherry red wool (Giorgio Armani) to mimic the lining color but have more durability.
Hand stitching the lining on the “sleeves” so there were no visible stitches was the best choice as the results obviously show.
As I recently lost a bit of weight, I had to refit this several times during the process. Once again, fit is everything. I am SO glad I took the time to do that.